To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:16:51 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: <!DOCTYPE> declaration

On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 07:08 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
wrote:

> The <!DOCTYPE> element is not used in XML Schema instances -- it's only
> needed when a DTD is used to validate the document.  All of the
> examples are
> both well-formed and valid, and you can confirm that by running them
> through
> a validating parser like Xerces-J.

Right, they definitely don't look like they contain errors.

What is confusing me is that the XML spec is quite specific in saying
that for a document to be valid, it MUST have a <!DOCTYPE> declaration
as its first element. That makes me wonder whether validating parsers,
following the letter of the spec, might mark them all invalid for that
reason.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-prolog-dtd

"Definition: An XML document is valid if it has an associated document
type declaration and if the document complies with the constraints
expressed in it."

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list