To: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Graff <Michael_Graff@isc.org>
Date: 02 Dec 2002 18:25:57 +0000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "ok" status on domains (and other objects)

Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net> writes:

> The document set is currently close to reaching Proposed Standard
> state.  ("Close, but no cigar" can apply at any time.)  Once the
> documents reach this stage, they are still by no means "done."  Our
> Area Director, Patrik, asked that we stick around as a WG until the
> documents reach the Draft Standard state.

I understand the distinction here, but my concern is that putting something
that is, IMHO, very poorly thought out both in terms of implementation in
this protocol and how it will ever, indeed IF ever, be used in operation
is a serious mistake.

Once it gains RFC level, regardless of how firm the mud is, people tend to
point at it and say "but the RFC says..." and worse, "but the implementations
all do..."  The latter isn't bad, for "it's as good, but different" but is
IMHO a serious mistake to have for things that can be added later, once
they are more thought out.

Needless to say, most of the above is directed at the ROID stuff.

--Michael

Home | Date list | Subject list