To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:11:18 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "private" Element Attribute

Hmm.

	IE	IIS	EPP-C	EPP-S
or
	Mz	Apache	EPP-C	EPP-S

P3P "native" (before we embraced and extended it) sits ONLY on the IIS and
Apache parts of the onward-transport. With our E+O, it now sits between the
C and S, but not elsewhere. We could MANDATE transparency between the EPP-S
and the instance of IIS-or-Apache so the IE-or-Mz browser could evaluate the
EPP-S policy. I think I know how to do that.

APPEL "native" (?) sits ONLY on the IE/Mz parts of the onward-transport
picture. I'm sure that until I re-read the APPEL spec and talk to Marc
that I don't know enough to usefully apply APPEL to reverse direction.

What problem are we trying to solve?

a. Providing a mechanism for users to announce their preferences?

b. Providing a mechanism for collectors to announce their practices?

c. Providing a mechanism for the expression of applicable law?

d. Providing a mechanism for policy expression which is capable of
test, hence enforcement?

e. Other

I was pretty sure we settled on (c), hence (b), and not on (a). Adding
(d) is interesting. Replacing (b), hence (c), with (a) isn't, IMO. I know
at least one contributor prefered (a) to (b).

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list