To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:23:33 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "private" Element Attribute

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:56:53PM -0400, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

> Before we take our first step down this bunny trail we need to know
> if what we are creating a mechanism for is a policy assertion by a
> registrant, or a registry, or some intermediary, AND, if the policy
> can be observed in its instantiation.

It seems to me that the historic goal of the WG has been to be
agnostic about policy; and that whether registrants or registries get
to enforce the policy is itself a policy question.  But maybe the
answer (at the expense of yet more complexity) is to do something
analogous to the server*Prohibited/client*Prohibited status values?
I don't really know, and I can't think of any firm proposals right
now; but would that help, in any case, to address the concern?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Home | Date list | Subject list