To: "'ietf-provregcafaxse'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Cc: Hollenbeck Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
From: Mike Lampson <lampson@iaregistry.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:41:46 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "private" Element Attribute

Scott,

Would "private" object elements appear to non-sponsoring entities
(Registrars) when they issue the "info" command?

My preference would be that "info" would only show non-private object
elements to non-sponsoring entities *unless* the non-sponsoring entity has a
valid AuthInfo code.  This allows the elements to remain private, but also
allows for the values to be disclosed to another Registrar if they have been
provided the correct AuthInfo code.  While this isn't necessary at a
protocol level to initiate a transfer, it is necessary at an administrative
level so that the potential gaining Registrar knows whose domain they are
actually transferring.  (It's better to verify that the Transfer is being
initiated by a current contact for the domain rather than a former employee
or other individual who may have somehow acquired the AuthInfo code.)

I expect that once a "private" attribute is implemented at a Registry that
you are not going to see just phone numbers and email addresses marked as
private, but entire contacts will be marked as private.  Hence my
recommendation for the "info" comand to show everything when a valid
AuthInfo code is included.

Just my 2cents,

Mike Lampson
The Registry at Info Avenue, LLC