To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: edlewis@arin.net, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>
From: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:08:54 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: our two past-due deadlines

According to the automated powers that be we are overdue on two items:

# PROVREG:Sep 2002:First draft of EPP Extensions Guidelines draft
# PROVREG:Sep 2002:First draft of EPP over SMTP

The first - Scott has a personal submission in the hopper and the
chairs already asked if the group wanted to adopt or not.  No one
replied.  Based on an earlier call for the doc - at our last in
person meeting, The chairs are going to ask Scott and the I-D people
to add the doc to the WG (name change and put it on the charter page).

The second - Eric has a document not in the I-D repository and "NOT
offered in accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026" on the EPP/SMTP
topic.  As such, the document isn't eligible to be "just transferred"
into the group even though it is publicly available and a reference
to it exists in the mailing list archives.  The (one) eligibility
hurdle is the prohibition of the IETF to make changes to the document.

So the question remains open, but with at least more input on the
topic available, whether an SMTP draft will be produced.

To the previous volunteers: unless you either express interest again
or produce a document or documents as personal products, the chairs
will consider you as "unvolunteering."

The chairs are reluctant to just choose an editor(s) for the draft
*in the absence of a demand for us to do so*.  This is because it is
up to the WG members to determine if this draft is desired and to
support its development.  The chairs shouldn't be determining the
course of the group, but making sure the group adheres to the charter
and makes headway into solving our problems.  (So much for the
soapbox.)

So - if the volunteers are still interested, say so or better yet
submit works that the WG can edit.  If the group wants to an editor
to be named, let the chairs know...

But please let the chairs get our milestones moved!  You don't know
the horrors of the IETF Secretariat torture chamber.
Drip-spam-drip-spam-... ;)
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Home | Date list | Subject list