To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:54:42 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Definition of "External" Host

I still do not understand what you do not understand.  In the specialized
case of a host being a name server, the host is either registered in a
repository that is authoritative for the IP address association with that
host or it isn't.  If it isn't, we came up with the "external host" term to
note the distinction that requires special DNS processing for name server
hosts.

host.2ld.tld is internal to the 2ld.tld repository.  It is external to any
other repository, including those that might exist under 2ld.tld, such as
3ld.2ld.tld, for reasons including some of those you described.  I'm not
sure where my earlier responses suggest otherwise, but they way you
described collapsing DBs and zones suggests that you've interpreted
something I said in a manner that I didn't intend.

This has nothing to do with registration policies, business practices, or
whatever.  It is ultimately related to the DNS and the zone file in which a
glue record for the name server should properly be published.

So, I think we're talking about the same thing.  Could you get to the point
of whatever it is you have an issue with?  If you don't like the way these
special-case hosts are described in the current document, please suggest
alternative text to describe the concept.

By the way, none of this was introduced in EPP-07.  It's been this way for
several revisions, including the one that passed WG last call.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list