To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:29:25 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Response Codes in draft-liu-epp-soap-00.txt

> Thanks for bringing that up. As noted in the draft, this
> indeed is an open
> issue that requires further development. We would like to
> hear from you and
> others on the list to get this issue resolved. As a starting
> point, would
> you mind bring up one or two cases that you see most problematic (and
> suggestions, -:) )?

1) Page 14, use of the EPP 2200 response code to note a SOAP unknown session
error.

2) Page 15, use of the EPP 2200 response code to note a SOAP expired session
error.

3) Page 15 and 16, NOTE 1 and NOTE 2.

4) Page 17, NOTE about old EPP response code 2501.

As I said before, if you have to deal with SOAP session errors you need to
put something explicit into the SOAP header to note them.  Maybe an OPTIONAL
<epp-soap:error> element with error codes defined in your draft would do it.

A 2400 error code would probably be more appropriate to return for an EPP
command that can't be processed due to a transport-related error like this.
A 2200 response identifies an _EPP_ authentication error -- not a SOAP
error, and that can be confusing.

BTW, there are numerous instances of "exp-soap" used as a namespace in the
examples where I think you meant to use "epp-soap" instead:

S:    <epp-soap:session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0"
S:         xmlns:epp-soap="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0"
S:         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
S:         xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0
S:         epp-soap-1.0.xsd" env:mustUnderstand="true">
S:        <exp-soap:clID>ClientX</clID>
S:        <exp-soap:sessionID>NV0x12aNX3YTAsdK</exp-soap:sessionID>
S:        <exp-soap:exDate>1970-01-01T00:00:00.0Z</exp-soap:exDate>

I think you can also get away with a single declaration for the epp-soap
namespace.  In the example above, you're both setting the default namespace
and then explicitly declaring epp-soap as a namespace.  You don't need to do
both.

You might want to try running the examples through a validating parser to
flush these sorts of errors.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list