To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@neteka.com>, "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@nic-naa.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:01:10 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: epp via smtp

At 09:11 PM 9/6/2002 -0400, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
> > ... SMTP as a transport mechanism and then parse out the body portion and
> > dump it back into the regular EPP gateway ...
>Fine.

yup.

> > One SMTP message may contain multiple EPP messages.  Transaction IDs are
> > used.
>OK.

good.

> >> Content-Type
>
> > ... headers are not used as identifiers ...
>
>How about text/xml; charset=utf-8?

The set of valid content-types and valid content-transfer-encodings need to
be defined.

> > Only PGP is used.
>
>OK.

For text on security using an application over email, probably the best
current template is in the Fax working group documents.  For example, it
dodges the choice between PGP and S/MIME.

>Now an implementation question or two.
>
>What bits are you using?

Eric, I don't understand your question.

>What email address(es) I can send the following

This question is essential, but the answer is not obvious.

If the service is supposed to "interact" with regular email users, then
obviously all email addresses need to be valid.

If the service is using email simply to connect a client to a server -- and
I think it is -- then we need the equivalent of a well-defined port
number.  For email, that means a special mailbox string.

>What should I expect in return?

an EPP response, no?

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850

Home | Date list | Subject list