To: "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@neteka.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:18:54 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: epp via smtp

It is honestly, fairly simple.  Reason being ease of implementation for the
registry as well as the registrar.  Your questions indicate that a more
comprehensive approach, or perhaps I should say a more "customized" approach
designed for EPP.  We could start with a very simple definition and add to
it.  In terms of practicality, we must ask what makes the most sense to a
registry and a registrar.  In terms of an elegant solution, we could utilize
the headers and MIME much better, or even specify a new ESMTP extension to
be used.

What are the thoughts from the group in general?

Anyway, in terms of our very simple implementation, it is really just using
the SMTP as a transport mechanism and then parse out the body portion and
dump it back into the regular EPP gateway.  ie.  the XML messages are
encoded "as is" in the body of the email.  Therefore, to answer your
questions: