To: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@neteka.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:04:39 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: epp via smtp

Edmon,

Would it be accurate to say that yours is not an independent SMTP transport?

That you've implemented a "bridge", mapping (a subset of) requests/replies
to/from streams to queued files?

What it really does is convert SMTP sessions (optionally containing EPP
messages) to/from (optionally) EPP messages?

I woke up this morning asking myself how I could distinguish between one
cron-driven sequence of shell commands shuffleing a set of *.xml files from
a test directory to a server's i/o interface (file-as-a-pseudo-socket), and
an event-driven sequence of sendmail processing (shuffleing over a set of
spool files), with both employing the common server core and backend or
diagnostic stubs.

If (in my mind) I don't hang some of the semantics on 821 et seq, I end up
playing solitare with a bunch of files, with no transport dependency at all.

Well, that's this morning's coffee.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list