To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:52:12 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Response Code 2501

While working through the new state diagram to be added to the EPP core
document, I had to ponder idle timeouts and they're addressed.  Right now
there's an error code defined that allows a server to notify a client of a
timeout situation:

2501 "Timeout; server ending session"

Is this error code really needed, though?  Servers aren't supposed to send a
response to a client without having first received a command, so if a client
dies or creates a session that's been alive for "a long time" the server
shouldn't be sending this as an unsolicited response.  It seems to make more
sense in this case for the server to just close the connection, and if the
client tries to write something it'll find the connection closed.

Thoughts?

FWIW this and the TCP header thing are the last two things I need to address
before being able to release the updated documents.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list