To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:19:57 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Proposed Document Changes - Pending Operations

Janusz,

I agree with Scott on this. Overloading an EPP field is bad for
interoperability. But I do agree with you that the changes required to
handle pending action should be kept minimum.

On a very high level, there are two separate aspects at hand:

(1) Indicating to the client in the initial response that the requested
action is pending.
(2) Notifying the client of the result of the pending action when it is
done.

I considered (1) already resolved by introducing a new result code. This
thread is about is (2), which also have a number of issues:

(a) provide a hook in <response> to house the notification information
(b) format of the notification message (minimum set of information)
(c) whether (b) should be defined in the core or as an extension

What you have suggested is about (a). I disagree that we overload <value>
for this purpose. Besides, you still need to resolve (b) and (c). My
argument is that (b) should be defined in the core.

I realize that Scott and I are crossing responses. I apologize that my
response is somewhat overlapped with Scott's.

I am also jumping the gun here since these issues are addressed in the draft
I am writing.

--Hong