To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:48:55 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: TCP Mapping

Hong and I have already exchanged private messages on this topic.  I'll
repeat what I said here.

First, I do expect to have to edit the TCP draft slightly to address some
comments I received from members of the IESG.  That won't happen until after
IETF-54.

Second, I'm very much against putting application-layer semantics into the
layer above TCP -- it smells like a layering violation to me.  I explicitly
added an <extension> element as a child of the <epp> element to support
adding features like data pushing from the "server" -- that's where I think
such extensions belong.  Plus, it's not wise to believe that EPP messages
aren't likely to exceed a certain length based on experiences with domain
name provisioning.  There may well be other operating environments where all
32 bits (and maybe even more -- I gave some serious thought to a 64-bit
length field in the header) are needed.  Being short-sighted now means we're
going to have issues in the future.

Third, this whole pushing thing may be a better candidate for implementation
using BEEP.  If that's true, it doesn't belong in the TCP draft at all.

I've already started work on a draft document describing how to properly
extend the protocol, and I expect -00 to be ready some time after the
Yokohama meeting.  I think it will be far easier to deal with extension
drafts _after_ we have the mechanics documented a bit better.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list