To: "Robert Burbidge" <robert.burbidge@poptel.coop>, "Ietf-Provreg \(E-mail\)" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@neteka.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:42:43 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: EPP and verification processes

Our implementation at SGNIC also required verification of contact similar to
your situation.
Currently, the gateway returns a particular response code to the client
notifying them that additional verification will be required (based on the
automated screening process result).  The status of the domain name will be
on Pending Verification, and the registrar is required to check on the
status and update the registrant regularly, by policy.  It also supports
revoking of previous decisions whether it was an approval or rejection.
Since the registry itself is responsible for the verification and not the
registrar, these operations are done within the registry system and will not
be necessary for the registrar to update the registry via EPP.  Although the
project did not mandate, but we also experimented with having the registrar
complete the verification and update the registry.  In that case, the
registrar will do a domain status update via EPP for the domain name to
change it from pending verification to Active.
Edmon