To: "'Robert Burbidge'" <robert.burbidge@poptel.coop>, "Ietf-Provreg (E-mail)" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:41:47 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: <domain:info> command and <host>

You've missed something.  The host draft states (section 1.1) that host
objects have a subordinate relationship to a domain object.  So, the
registry knows about all hosts in the repository created as children of
"wibble.tld", such as "ns1.wibble.tld".  The <info> command gives the client
the option to retrieve only subordinate hosts like ns1.wibble.tld, only
delegated hosts (the name servers to which wibble.tld has been delegated),
both delegated and subordinate hosts, or neither.  There is no requirement
for a client to register _all_ of the hosts that might exist in the
wibble.tld zone.

So, if you're asking if folks MUST create hosts objects for all wibble.tld
hosts, the answer is no.  Some server operator may come up with creative
things to do with host objects other than using them as name servers, and if
they get registered they'll be visible via the domain's <info> command.
However, the domain <info> command will not generally know anything about
hosts that exist only in the wibble.tld zone.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list