To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine'" <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: "'Hollenbeck, Scott'" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:43:10 -0600
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Pending Update

Eric,

You raised some good points about the semantics of pending update. We are
well aware of these issues you raised. My approach, at least from what I
learned on this list, is that I'd better state the problem clearly first
before dwelling into solutions, -:)

I take it that you are not objecting to pending update, but want to get the
semantics right regarding whether multiple pending updates should be
serialized on the registrar side. Am I correct?

For those who want to get a quick understanding of this thread, there are
three issues Eric raised in his email. [Eric, please correct me if I
misunderstood your views.]:

(1) Is the registrar allowed to cancel a pending update before it is
confirmed of the execution of the operation?

(2) Is the registrar allowed to issue multiple updates to the same object
before it is confirmed of the execution of the first operation?

(3) What is the mechanism to correlate messages in pending update situation?

To some extent, some of these questions have touched upon the overlapping
areas between registry policy and protocol mechanism. I would like to hear
more discussions from the list.

Please see my comments in line.

--Hong