To: "'Liu, Hong'" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:38:48 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Pending Update

Hong,

There's a somewhat analogous situation related to creating domain names in
that sometimes the object really shouldn't be instantiated until after some
manual process determines that the domain is "valid".  Right now the specs
include a domain status of "pendingVerification" to note that a domain
object create command has been processed, but the action hasn't yet really
be completed.

As for the discussion requested below, I think it might be helpful to add a
response code that says something like "Command completed successfully;
action pending".  We have to separate command completion from back-end
processing such that we maintain the OLTP ACID properties (basically that
commands have no partial success or partial failure), so we need to note
that the command has been received and processed but that something else
needs to happen before some back-end stuff completes.  We could also add a
"pendingVerification" status to the host mapping to note the situation in
subsequent <info> command responses.

I'm not going to touch the documents again until we get some feedback from
the IESG, but adding a new response code and a new host status could well be
done when dealing with IESG comments.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list