To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:04:02 +0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Mapping IP Addresses to Geographic Location

On 27 Feb 2002 at 15:48, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine
wrote:

> host-by-addr (an instance of object-by-attribute) raises two issues:
>
> 	o existance and relevenacy of object-by-attribute mechanism, a
> 	  general question of specification scope, and data specification,
> and
> 	o reverse lookup, mapping ip addresses to geographic location, a
> 	  specific question of relevance where locality of reference is
> 	  not casual.

Not sure whether that's going to be popular.
I don't put exact geographical location (or info about
OS of our names servers) in our DNS record.
For security/privacy reasons. I suspect others would
do the same.

But there are times (actually numerous) that I want
to find the geographical location of an intruder
(for example). Frequently I use
   <http://visualroute.visualware.com>
to find out where the attacker/intruder came from.
Of course, it doesn't give the *exact* geographical
location. But close enough. And still preserves privacy.
(I think.)

my 2 cents.
-- budi

Home | Date list | Subject list