To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Liu, Hong" <Hong.Liu@neustar.biz>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:56:37 -0600
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Reverse Lookup using IP Address in EPP?

Asbjorn, Scott and Patrik,

Thanks for providing comments to this thread. To come to a closure on this
thread, I would like to summarize what I gathered from the list:

The question posted was: how can one find out the corresponding host
object(s) given an IP address, i.e., reverse lookup?

There are three methods suggested:

(1) Use whois query. This requires that all host objects be stored in the
whois database. It may or may not be the case depending on registry policy.

(2) Return the list of host objects currently using the IP address during
the creation of a new host object for the same IP address. This requires
extension to be defined in EPP for the response message of <host:create>
command.

(3) Extend <host:info> to allow query host objects based on an IP address.
This entails that the <host:info> command and response be modified.

(1) is out-of-band while (2) and (3) are in-band. Each has pros and cons. In
terms of the degree of changes required for EPP, (2) seems to be simpler and
less painful.

Comments?

--Hong

Home | Date list | Subject list