To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:33:56 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: <info> Command and authInfo

Those of you familiar with the NSI RRP, the protocol's STATUS command, and
the way it's been implemented in the com|net|org registry are probably aware
that RRP clients can only do a STATUS command on domains that they've
registered.  A client who attempts to get status on a domain registered by a
different client gets an error response.

The EPP specification is a bit more flexible in this regard, saying this
about the essentially similar <info> command:

"This action SHOULD be limited to authorized clients; restricting this
action to the sponsoring client is RECOMMENDED."

VeriSign often gets registrar requests to open up the RRP STATUS command
completely so that any client can obtain information about any registered
domain.  The usual argument to support this request relates to transfers:
the potential gaining client wants to be able to see what they're getting in
to before requesting the transfer.  Opening the command up completely
introduces a data mining risk, so that's why the EPP text is written as it
is, but without allowing some cross-vision the gaining client has to go to
an out-of-band mechanism (like whois) to obtain info.  I think we can do
better with EPP without opening a significant data mining risk.

I'm wondering how people feel about adding an optional <authInfo> element to
the domain <info> command.  Sponsoring clients wouldn't have to use it; they
can continue to "see" all of the domains they sponsor.  Clients who need to
see something in the context of a transfer can provide the <authInfo> to see
domain object info via the protocol, eliminating the need to go out-of-band.
Data mining protections are still in place because non-sponsoring clients
who don't have the <authInfo> can't see domains sponsored by other clients.

This sort of change would let us tighten up the EPP spec a bit, which should
help with interoperability.  I know we finished a WG last call, but I'm in
the docs now working on wrapping up the changes based on last-call comments
and would like to know how folks feel about this change given their
operational experience with RRP.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list