To: mankin@isi.edu
Cc: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, Allison Mankin <mankin@isi.edu>, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:47:34 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Requirements Document Update

Thanks to all for the clarifications.  Scott submitted a new draft based on
the comments received earlier.  If we think the clarifications mean a more
general edit is needed, we'll have another soon.

At 8:14 AM -0500 1/11/02, Allison Mankin wrote:
>Patrik,
>
>I would only add to what you and Scott wrote that:
>
>> _somewhere_ in the protocol stack there has to be congestion control
>
>It is not only a large undertaking to put congestion control in
>the application itself, but it may greatly distort the application
>protocol if it has the requirement to make the network timing
>measurements needed for congestion control (taken care of by
>using TCP or SCTP).
>
>We asked for the wording in the provreg document to encourage
>provreg not to choose UDP as the transport and then be forced
>to provide application congestion control as well.
>
>Allison
>

>Allison

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list