To: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:25:32 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "External" hosts in EPP

As I indicated in Salt Lake, I'm not a very big fan of "freedom of
expression" for freedom of expression's sake.  This is the sort of
option that makes it harder to interoperate and doesn't gain any
additional functionality.

If someone (Cathy, Klaus?) has any reasons why it is actually
beneficial to have the name server as an attribute as opposed to an
object, I'll reconsider my stance.  I think all I've heard to this
point is "that's how some registries do it already".  That's not
really an argument to explain whether it's good behavior, though.
Some registries allow out-of-zone glue, which we decided was a bad
idea long ago.  The change to EPP is already going to require some
change in how registrars interact with registries; I simply don't get
how the requirement to create a host object before using it is
particularly damaging.

On the flip side, if some registries require host object creation and
some don't, this means registrars have to create substantially
different logic for how they register domains in some TLDs (or IP
registries) than they do in others.  That's not good.

Jordyn

At 6:51 PM -0500 12/17/01, Daniel Manley wrote:
>For the sake of freedom of expression, I guess it wouldn't hurt, but
>we would probably not use it -- there's too many advantage to using
>host objects.
>
>Dan
>
>Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

Home | Date list | Subject list