To: paul.mylotte@bt.com
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:24:21 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Comments on EPP at the Registrars Constituency

EPP is a policy neutral protocol specification, so this policy has no
impact on the definition and implemetation of the protocol.  The 2-letter
restriction would impact the use of the protocol.

E.g.

You could form a valid EPP request to ask for a two-letter domain.  The
response from the registry would deny the request (if the registry banned
two-letter names).  If the registry allowed two-letter domains, the request
may be granted (other things being equal).

At 7:04 AM -0500 11/29/01, paul.mylotte@bt.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just subscribed to the list, and I have a query.
>
>At the recent ICANN Registrars' constituency meeting
>I understand that there was a proposal to include a
>prohibition on two letter codes at the second level of
>the Domain Name System.
>
>This sounds strange - If EPP does not permit any two
>letter codes at the second level, what will this mean for
>all the reservations of country codes under .info, for
>example?
>
>Can you shed some light on this situation ?
>Does it only apply to ENUM identifiers ?

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list