To: "'Jens-Uwe Gaspar'" <jug@schlund.de>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:27:39 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [Epp-rtk-devel] contact field lengths (fwd)

The limits are there to help implementers who have to deal with storing all
of this information in a database and for other users of the data, such as
whois clients, data escrow repositories, etc. who have to use the data.  I
do not agree that this is a matter of registry policy because this
information is viewed and used by entities other than a single registry.

I really don't care what the limit is, but I strongly believe that a limit
is needed and should be defined.  Back when we were discussing the changes
needed to move contact-02 to contact-03, going from 30 to 64 was discussed
on this list and no one objected.  This thread started because someone on
another list noticed the old limit of 30 in an implementation based on the
obsolete contact-02 document and said "hey, that's too small".  Well, we
figured that out a while ago.

So, to get to the point, we now have a suggestion to increase the limit from
64 to 255.  Does anyone else agree or disagree with this suggestion?

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list