To: 'Julián Muñoz Domínguez' <jmunoz@softhome.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 07:37:04 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Contacts length

Some of the length limits are taken directly from international standards.
For example, the maximum length of telephone numbers is defined by ITU-T
standard E.164.  Postal addressing fields were initially limited by
definitions found in ISO standard 11180:1993(E), but we've discovered that
there are exceptions to that standard.  So, to make a long story short, some
of the field limits are defined per existing standards, and some are defined
to accommodate what implementers have found to be real-world limits.

As for creating database fields, there's always risk in implementing an I-D
because things might change if/as the document progresses.  You're probably
pretty safe in using the values as-is, but there is a risk that some might
change.  Doubling would surely be safe, but it's probably far more than what
you'll really need.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list