To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:22:17 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Registrar-registrar notification

When reading through the drafts, the following dilemma appears to be possible.

Reg A registers domain1.example, with ns1.domain1.example as the name
server.  (I'm using just one server here for simplicity.)

Reg B has a customer arrive that wants domain2.example and use
ns2.domain1.example as its name server.

Reg B's problem is that it needs Reg A to cooperate and create
ns2.domain.example before B can proceed fulfilling the order.  The two
questions here are 1) what is there to motivate A to cooperate <not a
provreg question> and 2) how does B request A to make the change <assuming
no hostility>.

The answer to 2 is either a simple call from B to A, or possibly a message
sent via the registry (and picked up by A via polling or pushing).

The question to the group: should the protocol define such a notification
schema/object/message?  If so, perhaps the means are already in the drafts
- should the drafts discuss the general issue here.

BTW - the same issue rises when Reg A tries to remove domain1.example.
ns2.domain1.example is serving domain2.example, so A needs B to break that
bond first.

The group shouldn't dive into making A and B cooperate, but we should
discuss if or how they communicate (within EPP).

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list