To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:39:13 +0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Length of Reason String

On 25 Sep 01, at 13:29, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> Given this guidance, it appears that we should further explore the "reason
> as string" option that's been discussed.  I believe it appropriate to define
> an upper limit on the length, but what do folks think is sufficient?  16
> characters?  24 characters?  Something else?

What's the length's upper limit of FTP, STMP return string?
eg.:
ftp> dir
226 Transfer complete.

telnet localhost 25
220 bhtv-email-server ESMTP gruwo-mailer
HELO localhost
250 have we met before?

Maybe we can learn something from them? I don't have any
reference handy at this moment.

BTW,
Character strings always remind me of sloppy coding, DoS attack.
Then there's also internationalization issue. :-(

-- budi

Home | Date list | Subject list