To: "'Thomas Corte'" <Thomas.Corte@knipp.de>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:36:45 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Command Recovery

Thomas,

Given that all dates are exchanged in UTC it shouldn't be a problem for the
client (who knows when the command was allegedly sent) and server to be in
synch, but if they're not, yes, this might be an issue.  I can also see
where it might be an issue if a date boundary is crossed due to normal
network latency, so I don't mind leaving it out if folks think it introduces
a point of potential confusion.

> However, I still don't consider it a big problem to require unique
> trids from the client. After all, the mechanism we are discussing
> facilitates the client's recovery issues, so it shouldn't burden
> the client too much to put trid uniqueness into it's responsibility.

I wouldn't mind adding text to the specs to RECOMMEND that clients enforce
TRID uniqueness on their end, but I don't want such text to imply that the
server MUST enforce uniqueness if the client makes mistakes.  That's where
the burden can get ugly.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list