To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine'" <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:21:10 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Another To-Do Thought

If the thingees are shared between client and server and not part of the
base specs, but they exist as a some form of additional elements added to
the protocol, they are extensions.  I don't think the form of documentation
(I-D, RFC, proprietary document) matters, as long as there's a schema
somewhere that defines the thingee.  If a schema exists, the thingee isn't
unspecified by definition.

As I said in my original note, I don't think "unspec" conveys the real
purpose of the element.  It's a place to add extensions, and as such using
"extension" seems more appropriate.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list