To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:22:33 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:11:20AM -0700, Patrick Greenwell took time to write:
> As the number of registries and registrars scale, it might be much more
> appropriate to have those registries PUSHing messages only to those
> that have messages in the queue rather than having the registrars blindly
> polling each registry on a timed interval.

Everyone should remember that the client (Registrar) does not have
explicitely to do any command whatsoever to know if a message is
waiting since the msqQ element of the <result> item of *any* command
tells him how many messages are waiting.
(see §2.5 of the EPP draft)

There is no overhead : the client does its usual business stuff
(that is : it does NOT use the POLL command).
Sometimes, as a result of whatever command, the server (Registry)
will tell him it has some messages in queue.
*Then* the Registrar does the poll to get them. (immediately or later
at its convenience).

The point is that the client has *never* to send a specific command
to know if messages are waiting. This information (the number of
messages) is pushed (!) by the Registry with the result of a command.

In that setup I see no problems of scale.

> As such, I definitely think PUSH should be present as an option.

As an option, I agree. But not as a MUST.

Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list