To: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, mnot@akamai.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
From: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:33:07 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

Rick H Wesson writes:

>> I'd love to buse BXXP and
>> I just can't find any
>> way to justify using SOAP.

Though I don't claim to be expert on BEEP, I have heard Marshall Rose give
an intro or two.  I would suggest that the strength of protocols like BXXP
is in the ability to manage things like multiplexing, conversations, etc.
Like SOAP, it uses XML where applicable as a structuring mechanism, but
mainly for its own purposes.

My impression is that  SOAP really picks up about where BEEP leaves off,
to solve a different and higher level set of issues.  SOAP puts a lot of
emphasis into managing the structure of an envelope, particularly so that
extensions can be managed and processed appropriately over time.
Furthermore, SOAP has as an explicit goal the ability to integrate with
and leverage a broad range of XML-based middleware being developed in a
variety of commercial and other settings.  My impression is that XML is
more a tool for BEEP, than an explicit goal.

So, I think the reason to use SOAP is [a] if its ability to manage things
like envelope structure and versioning (e.g. mustUnderstand) is useful,
[b] if you value the ability to leverage what is expected to be quite
ubiquitous tooling for SOAP, probably WSDL, and related offerings and/or
[c] if you need to tell a story about how a single application level
message (e.g. purchase order) will flow through BEEP, for example, into
your organization, from there through MQSeries to your application, etc.
SOAP attempts to model such integration.  Of course, if you want to model
things as a simple form of RPC, for easier access from scripting languages
etc., SOAP provides support for that, but does not require its use.

SOAP isn't the answer to all problems, but those are the reaons I would
consider.  Many of us hope that there will emerge a truly first class
binding for SOAP to run on top of BEEP.  I do think there is likely
overlap between BEEP and SOAP in areas such as security, and it would be
really good if the two approaches turned out to be compatible.  For
example, it would be really nice if, when SOAP is mapped onto BEEP, the
resulting security story looked sensible, rather than patchwork.  As you
can see from other emails on dist-app, the protocols WG is trying hard to
ensure that such mappings from SOAP are generally possible.  Of course,
there is a lot of detail to be considered to make sure one has a really
good solution, and not just a patchwork integration.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142