To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Bason, Chris" <cbason@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:44:10 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

Eric, per your suggestion I revisited the message thread you referred
to. As far as I can tell there are no comments in that particular
thread about polling vs. pushing transfer notifications. There certainly
is no consensus on this topic in the thread. Furthermore, based on the
WG mailing list to date, I have not seen a majority consensus in any
message thread that identifies pushing notifications as an acceptable
addition to the protocol.

Let me just restate then what I am looking for and why. I saw Scott
Hollenbeck's message on the list, "WG Discussion Summary with Draft
Document Impact" stating the following:

Eric's XRP presentation and subsequent discussion led to a reopening of the
message polling vs. message pushing discussion.  Folks in the room seemed to
support the idea of having both mechanisms in the base protocol, with the
client having the ability to select a delivery mechanism from among those
offered by the server.  Eric will offer up suggested text to be added to the
EPP draft(s).

This statement concerns me. Let me then rephrase the question:
1) What justification was given that received so much support for pushing
transfer notifications where there was little support before?
2) What is advantageous about using a push mechanism for transfer
notification in our current registry/registrar model over
using a pull mechanism?

I personally see no advantage. Although, I do see several disadvantages,
one of which is the unnecessary complexity that will be added to the
protocol. If there are no clear advantages for using a push method then
it should not be added to the protocol.

Chris Bason