To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
From: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

Mark,

I looked at SOAP and BXXP (some call it BEEP) and our TCP transport.
I can live with TLS/TCP, I'd love to buse BXXP and I just can't find any
way to justify using SOAP.

While I appreciate your intro on it, you can write a EPP over SOAP
transfer if you like, but most registries have chosen BXXO or TLS/TCP.

-rick

ps my view on soap isn't from an I hate anything that uses http as
   a transport either.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> [ I'm posting this message to both the PROVREG
>   <ietf-provreg@cafax.se> and XMLP <xml-dist-app@w3.org> lists, to
>   promote discussion.  AFAIK both lists accept posts from
>   non-subscribed addresses; please trim the distribution if your
>   message would only be interesting to one, or if the discussion
>   starts to take up too much bandwidth. Thanks. ]
>
> I got up at the PROVREG meeting in London to point out some
> similarities in that group's work and the XMLP WG in the W3C.
>
> This note is intended to generate discussion of SOAP as a potential
> framework for use by PROVREG, as well as to stimulate feedback to the
> XML Protocol WG regarding SOAP's suitability for such uses.
>

> * Introduction
>
> The IETF Provisioning Registry (PROVREG) Working Group has been
> chartered [1] to provide a "protocol that enables a registrar to
> access multiple registries." Furthermore, the group "... will
> consider support for multiple operational choices, such as for
> transport and security; it will create no new transport or security
> protocols."
>
> The W3C XML Protocol Working Group has been chartered [2] to provide
> a framework for XML messaging, using SOAP [3] as a starting point.
> Although SOAP is commonly believed to be only
> 'RPC-using-XML-over-HTTP', the group is bound to deliver
> transport-agnostic services which enable a wide variety of
> applications beyond RPC.
>
> Superficially, it appears that XMLP may provide a framework with
> which to implement a PROVREG protocol, with a number of advantages
> and efficiencies, as such uses are within the scope of its charter.
>
> This note seeks to examine the requirements of PROVREG from the
> perspective of SOAP, both to bring XMLP's work to the attention of
> PROVREG, and to generate feedback to XMLP about the suitability of
> SOAP for uses such as PROVREG's. Additionally, it attempts to point
> out the requirements and context of PROVREG to XMLP, in the hope that
> it will serve as a use case for XMLP.
>
> This note does not propose a SOAP-based registry protocol, and only
> represents the thoughts of the author. Discussion should be directed
> to the provreg mailing list [4] and the xml-dist-app [5] mailing list
> as appropriate.
>

> * XMLP Context and Deliverables
>
> The XML Protocol Working group is charged with delivering a framework
> for XML messaging, based on the SOAP submission. There are four
> defined deliverables;
>
>  1. A Message Envelope, which contains the XML message
>  2. A Serialization Mechanism, to represent data structures as XML
>  3. A Transport Binding, to move messages around; initially, HTTP
>  4. An RPC Convention, to enable applications which require this common
>     funtionality
>
> However, the charter implies a more abstract architecture which, in
> combination with these basic deliverables, has the following
> attributes;

> [...]

Home | Date list | Subject list