To: "'Sheer El-Showk'" <sheer@saraf.com>
Cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 05:50:12 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: host transfers

Versign's
>registry through one registrar I need to be able to transfer it to another
>registrar if I want to stop using my original registrar.  Even though no IP
>addresses are kept for the host, it has associated domain relations that
are
>preserved even when the hostname is changed.  Thus the host is an actual
>registry entity, not just a placeholder for an external system (ie its
>relevant because I can change ns1.sheer.ma to ns2.sheer.ma and all domains
>using it should automatically be switched over to the new name).  This
>suggests the need for an authinfo field in the host as well.

I still think it a VERY bad idea to allow transfer of a host like
ns1.example.com separate from a transfer of example.com, but there may be
some merit to allowing transfer of ns1.example.foo within a registry not
authoritative for .foo.

Anyone else?  It's been a while since this topic was originally discussed on
the list, so maybe people have had time to think about things for a while.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list