To: "'Jordyn A. Buchanan'" <jordyn@register.com>, Sheer El-Showk <sheer@saraf.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 05:41:20 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: host transfers

As things stand right now, there's nothing that prevents a server from
switching into client mode to communicate with another server.  However,
therein lies a huge assumption that all registries (let's limit this to
domain name registries for now) are running the same registry protocol(s).
Even when we eventually have a standard, I don't think we will ever have all
domain name registries running the same sort of registration systems using
the same protocol(s).  Some registries will be continue to operate using
more manual processes; how are those variances accommodated?

It may be possible to automate some level of cross-registry object
authentication, but this becomes a very slippery slope.  Registries will be
required to keep track of every other registry in which "their" information
is being used so that updates can be distributed directly, or instead some
sort of broadcast or multicast capability has to be developed.
Acknowledgement of distributed updates will be required to ensure
consistency.  Cross-registry synchronization will continue to be difficult,
perhaps more difficult than it is now.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list