To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: OneHandyMan@excite.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:03:31 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Flushing the Message Queue

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:47:34 -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

  While we're talking about messages exchanged between client and server, I
  might as well bring this up: there's currently nothing in the protocol
draft
  that says anything about how a server should deal with messages that
remain
  queued for "a long time" due to a client either not retrieving their
  messages or not acknowledging them.  I can't imagine a registry wanting to
  keep messages enqueued for an indefinite amount of time, but I doubt that
  it's a good idea to dequeue and throw messages away, either.

  One possibility could be that messages must be retained for some server-
or
  protocol-defined amount of time, and if not dequeued by the client before
  the end of the retention period perhaps the server can dequeue them and
send
  them to the client via an out-of-band method like email, or make them
  available via ftp, or who knows what else.

  Does anyone have any thoughts on the topic?

  <Scott/>

Please forgive me but I am starting to get confused here. I was under notion
that we are working protocol design and not on system design or
implementation.

The protocol should mainly focuses on the message syntax and its context.
Issues like dealing with duration of message remain on queue and how to deal
with the messages after a certain period of time or should we pass them via
ftp / e-mail or idl implementation, all are system design and implementation
issue.

With Regards

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/