To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, epp-rtk-devel <epp-rtk-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:01:52 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [Epp-rtk-devel] RE: ROID Placement

Scott, ietf-provreg contributors and participants

Our work is a protocol specification, not an IDL specification, and not some
indemnification policy for business decisions. The first is an implementor's
issue, and an optional one at that, the second is simply out-of-scope for any
IETF WG.

As Ayesha pointed out, the derivation is complicated by this change of roid
placement, and that alone should give pause. As you pointed out, this means
we delta the requirements draft, not a big deal, and get the roid functionally
placed correctly. Clearly, from the registry use cases for requirements, a
global identifier is not optional.

I appreciate Dan Kirkdorffer's point, but even if real technical cooperation
between registries were taking place, no registry or set of registries "owns"
the work product of this WG, or can unilaterally "gate" the versioning of the
core specification, or its last call(s). I'm not the best position to know
but I heard that the date he referred to has been slipped some 30 days, which
may be palitive, then again, there may be other issues than those arising from
this specification.

Periodically I put in my full .sig, and today is as good a day as any. Scott,
my admin has my actual phone number should you need to call.

Eric

Eric Brunner-Williams                  NeuStar, Inc.
Senior Technical Industry Liaison      http://www.neustar.com
Phone: (Portland, ME) +1.207.xxx.xxxx  (Washington, DC) +1.202.533.2600/2975
smail: 1415 Forest Ave. 04103          1120 Vermont Ave. N.W., Ste 400, 20005
email: brunner@nic-naa.net             ebw@neustar.com

P.S.
The contolling namesapce prefix for the r(h)oid element is "hemor".
Note: The "h" is elided as an XML compression technique.

Home | Date list | Subject list