To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: "'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine'" <brunner@nic-naa.net>, "'Damaraju, Ayesha'" <ayesha.damaraju@neustar.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:01:53 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Epp - Contacts

Scott,

As a mathematician, the distinction between "two" and "many" seems a bit
mystical, but the real issue here is non-uniqueness, ordering, necessity,
consequence, and then any (finite) number that makes consensus.

What's your favorite number between 1 and card(integers)?

I'm partial to 4, though 7 works for me too. Dualists usually go for 2.
Christians for 3. ...  and cognitive types remind us that 7 is about as
much as a mind can hold.

The nice thing about integers is that there are so many to choose from.

What Ayesha was fishing for was a case against, not an assertion of
non-necessity, which we didn't apply to the first (and therefore simple,
elegant, unique, and potentially wrong) instance of numerous contact
elements.

Anyone got a case against? A case for necessity of uniqueness? Impossiblity
(or difficulty) of ordering? Lacking that, its just a matter of taste.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list