To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:55:34 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: WHOIS Terminology and draft-ietf-provreg-dn-defn-01.txt

> The last two lines make it clear that there is confusion about the term
> WHOIS. Making a terminology document would be the opportunity to clarify
> things.
>
> Since later down you introduce the terms 'Registry and Registrar
> Whois', we
> have two terms for the service part. We could then restrict the meaning of
> 'Whois' to the TCP based query/response protocol.
> Maybe 'Registrar Whois Service' is a better description and the meaning
> more obvious?

Well taken. Would it perhaps make more sense to keep the definition of
"Whois" as it currently stands but add "Whois Service" and "Whois Protocol"
in addition? Part of my goal with this document is to "bridge the gap"
between those that know better and those that don't. The term "SLD Holder"
is a great example of a legally concise word that has found it's way into
our lexicon but holds no meaning for 99% of the rest of the world who have
latched onto the terms "registrant", "domain holder" or "domain owner".

> Often the term 'Whois Database' is heared. I'm happy that you do not have
> it in your list, because it makes no sense.  ;-)

This is DNS, none of it makes sense. ;)

-rwr

Home | Date list | Subject list