To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Urs Eppenberger <eppenberger@switch.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:03:54 +0300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: WHOIS Terminology and draft-ietf-provreg-dn-defn-01.txt

Clarifying terminology in our area is very helpful. Just consider the
thin/fat registry discussions.

> Whois: a TCP transaction based query/response server, that providing
> netwide directory service to network users. The Whois Protocol was
> originally defined in RFC 954. The initial domain name related
> application layer implementations were centralized systems run by
> SRC-NIC and then later InterNIC/Network Solutions. The SRI-NIC and
> InterNIC implementations are more formally referred to as
> "NICNAME/Whois" services. Whois is not purely a domain name or IP
> address directory service, but has been deployed for a wide variety
> of uses, both public and private. Other variants of this service
> include RWhois and the newer Verisign Referral LDAP Whois service.
> Whois can refer to the protocol defined in RFC 954 or the generic
> application service described above.

The last two lines make it clear that there is confusion about the term
WHOIS. Making a terminology document would be the opportunity to clarify
things.

Since later down you introduce the terms 'Registry and Registrar Whois', we
have two terms for the service part. We could then restrict the meaning of
'Whois' to the TCP based query/response protocol.
Maybe 'Registrar Whois Service' is a better description and the meaning
more obvious?

Often the term 'Whois Database' is heared. I'm happy that you do not have
it in your list, because it makes no sense.  ;-)

Kind regards,

Urs.

Home | Date list | Subject list