To: "'George Belotsky'" <george@register.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:25:40 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: A Comment on 9. [1] of the requirements document.

[snip]

> In sum, RFC 1035 says 2 things:
>
>          (i) store names into DNS as per the ABNF in 2.3.1.
>         (ii) when implementing DNS software, ensure that it
>              will be able to support all 8 bits per character
>              (except the null) as per 2.3.3.

Last time I checked, this WG was dealing with (i) and not (ii), and the ABNF
very clearly defines domain and host names using 7-bit US-ASCII characters.
However, in the interest of concluding this discussion I am willing to
concede that the requirement text saying "the encoding of Internet host and
domain names in the DNS" might be misunderstood since 1035 does also
describe labels in more liberal terms.  How about this for a rewording:

"[RFC1035] describes Internet host and domain names using characters
traditionally found in a subset of the 7-bit US-ASCII character set."

If anyone objects, please include single-sentence alternative wording that
explains why there is an internationalization issue with domain and host
names.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list