To: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, tech@nic.fr
From: Olivier Guillard / AFNIC <Olivier.Guillard@nic.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:44:05 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

le lundi 09 avril à 14 H 27 , Mats Dufberg a écrit :
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>
> > >A SHOULD would be appropriate if storing the IP address for glue records
> > >not strictly needed would be a better solution than not. I disagree. By
> > >storing and announcing the IP address you increase the risk of have
> > >different data in the mother zone than in the authoritative
> > >zone. -- Data should be kept where it is authoritative as far as possible.
> >
> > ...and by not mentioning anything at all about the need for an IP address
> > with a name server you run the larger risk of not having glue where it's
> > needed.
>
> If a glue is needed and IP address is missing, the delegation should be
> refused.
>
> > I don't have a problem with adding some words that describe why the
> > SHOULD isn't a MUST (see below), but cutting out the requirement completely
> > doesn't address the reality of needing addresses to produce glue records.
> >
> > 3.4.2-[3] existing text:
> > Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST be
> > registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address.
> >
> > 3.4.2-[3], change MUST to SHOULD and add new text:
> > Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs SHOULD be
> > registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address only as required to produce DNS
> > "glue" records.
>

> There could be a MUST for needed glue:
>
> 3.4.2-[3], updated to cover strictly needed glue:
>
> Name servers MUST be registered with valid IPv4 or IPv6 address when "glue
> record" is stricly needed for delegation of a domain from the TLD. The
> address MAY be removed when no longer needed for strict "glue record".
>

> The MUST could be moved to somewhere else to say:
>
> Delegation MUST be refused if a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address is not
> available for strictly needed "glue record".
>

> Mats

> Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
> dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29

Matt,

I suppose that nic-se remove the glues that are not longer needed
in ALL cases, don't you?

I agree with all the arguments you have posted in this thread, about
this topic and I would even write a "MUST" for your second "MAY".

3.4.2-[3], updated to cover strictly needed glue:

Name servers MUST be registered with valid IPv4 or IPv6 address when "glue
record" is stricly needed for delegation of a domain from the TLD. The
address MUST be removed when no longer needed for strict "glue record".
        ^^^^
regards,

Olivier

Home | Date list | Subject list