To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:28:37 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:17:49PM -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make in the context of
> admin repository changes over time.
>
> What happens to your example handle if the admin function is one day moved
> from ARIN to some other administrative entity (call it !ARIN for the sake of
> argument), but the person and prefix remain constant?  Does the handle
> remain WM110-ARIN, or must it change to WM110-!ARIN?

And if the two elements have meaning (which making them atomic suggests)
then you end up needing to ensure that both are globally unique since
I'd bet there would be a WM110 in the new entity pointing to someone else...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com