To: george@register.com (George Belotsky)
Cc: briansp@walid.com (Brian W. Spolarich), paf@cisco.com (Patrik Fältström), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:27:31 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

%
% Brian:
%
% For entities, it would be possible to take a similar approach.
%

	self-referal.  where/how is an FQDN created?... :)
	for that matter, the "creating registrar" itself has a "handle"
	and, as folks have pointed out, registrars themselves are ephemeral.
	We've had three die in the last ~20 years....  Postel, SRI, NSI...
	(ok, NIS actually morphed into something else)  who is to say
	that RIPE/APNIC/ARIN or any of the other registries will be existant?

	I like the idea of a timestamp, but I don't want to remember it
	as part of my handle.

--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list