To: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'George Belotsky'" <george@register.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Martin Oldfield <m@mail.tc>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:35:50 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Unique handle generation

>>>>> "paf" == paf  <Patrik> writes:

--> snip <--

    paf> So, my proposal is simply that the local handle is allocated
    paf> / generated by the registry for each object, the server
    paf> handle is registered somewhere (I have a draft which is on
    paf> it's way out...but I missed the deadline) and unique for the
    paf> registry -- and the handle for any object is a combination of
    paf> the two.

This strikes me as eminently sensible.

Presumably the registrar could offer a hint to the registry for the
local part of the handle, which the registry could simply ignore if it
didn't fit its handle policy or if it had been taken.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield,
AdamsNames Ltd.