To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:07:06 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: WG starting point - WG query

> So I am personally requesting feedback from the others on this list,
> concerning consensus about use of Scott's existing work:

I concur with the proposition that extensive community review has taken
place (since -43 for some, since -48 for others, and at -49 and on -announce
and now -provreg), and with the proposition that Scott's requirements and
protocol drafts have general support.

>          The terms of a working group charter need to have consensus of the
> proto-working group.  In other words, it is not just produced by the chair
> and the IESG.  It has to have support by those who will be participating in
> the working group.

If it were otherwise there would be an action item to the poisson list.

[necessity and authority to make WG work-product alterations from any initial
 text, deleted for space.]

> So my question to the working group:
>
>          1.  Shall the working group take Scott's Requirements document and
> Scott's protocol specification is direct input, and then seek to refine them?

Hum.

> Or:
>
>          2.  Shall the working group start from scratch and seek full
> development of Requirements and full development of a protocol
> specification, including possible choice among competing specifications?

Non-hum.

> In my opinion, alternative #2 usually costs a working group no less than
> 6-12 months EXTRA.  Taking as much as 2 years EXTRA is not unusual!

Possibly understated, given the uniqueness of working in a politicised
area. It took the W3C's P3P activity the first two+ years of its life to
scope "privacy" and "preferences", and its third year to deliver a very
modest work.

Cheers,
Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list