To: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>
Cc: "'provreg List'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:09:38 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Interim Meeting

At 05:30 PM 2/3/2001 +0100, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

>     I managed to find a United $500 fare from san jose, but it took
>     some digging.
>
>You don't want ty know about prices in Europe.

Although the current event is not a counter-example example, it is often
true that prices between Europe (or even Asia) and the US are cheaper than
WITHIN the U.S!  Market forces can be SO interesting sometimes.

But more generally, I would have wished that the meeting were at least 2
days, simply because the travel time and money are so expensive.  Again, it
is far too late to change the current plans, but it is worth remembering.

>     Yes, we DO need an agenda.  In addition, I suggest that the
>     cost of attending the meeting is high enough to warrant working
>     a longer day.  So I suggest changing the time from 10-5 to be
>     9-6 or 8:30-6pm (or even 6:30pm.)
>
>For people from Europe, this is too late. My flight leaves around
>18:00 (6 pm for americans). We could have a (informal) session the
>eveming beforea allthough the jet-lag might be a problem...

Departure times vary.  While it is important that the schedule not exclude
people excessively, it is frequently true that some people arrive late or
leave early.  Many flights to Europe depart at 8-10pm, for
example.  (Hmmm.  That might not be true from Chicago, or Dallas, it occurs
to me.  I am probably remember Easter U.S.)

So, your point is well taken.  In any event, I was simply trying to suggest
that we extend the hours as much as we can.  The group needs consensus on
the specific choices for starting and stopping.

Your suggestion that the current meeting hold an informal discussion the
night before is excellent!

>     If we do an interim meeting in the US again, I'll suggest that
>     we meet in Chicago or Dallas, starting at 1:30pm, and all of
>
>For non-American attendees this might not be an option. We should
>minimize on interim meetings anyway.

We should, indeed.

I have done enough long-haul flight to be entirely empathetic with your
concerns.  (But then, flying long-haul for a one-day meeting is quite
daunting, since I prefer a few days to adjust, before doing real work.)

However, long-haul flights usually arrive in the morning, with customs,
etc., usually meaning that one is free of the airport no later than about
11am.  That would leave enough time to check into the hotel and take a
break, before the meeting.

(And apologies to one and all for this extended thread.  Obviously it is a
pet topic of mine and I am trying to promote it more broadly.)

d/

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list