To: "James Seng" <jseng@i-dns.net>
Cc: "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, "Patrik Faltstrom" <paf@cisco.com>
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:22:21 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Fw: WG Review: Provisioning Registry Protocol (provreg)

At 3:02 PM -0500 2/2/01, James Seng wrote:
>It also have references to Scott Hollenback I-Ds. While Scott have good
>I-Ds, referencing it to the WG charter is IMHO a bad idea. It will
>discourage others to come forward with their proposal.

The updated charter does not reference the drafts.  Below is the latest
one.  I don't know whether the charter below will replace the one on the
ietf-announce list, but in any case, I certainly agree that the references
to the drafts should be removed.

>If the WG intention is only to reach a point whereby it is a DNS
>specific registration protocol, as description in the charter which you
>submit to the IESG, I will put up a motion *AGAINST* the formation of
>this WG at all.

I doubt that the intention of the participants in the WG is to only go so
far as a DNS registration protocol.  I was just mentioning that as a
possibility.  The IESG has final say on the scope of the WG.

Provisioning Registry Protocol (ProvReg)

-------------------------------

  CHAIR(S):
         Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
         Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@sidn.nl>

  APPLICATIONS AREA DIRECTOR(S):
         Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
         Ned Freed <Ned.Freed@innosoft.com>

  AREA ADVISOR:
         Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>

  MAILING LISTS:
  General Discussion: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
    In Body: subscribe ietf-provreg
  Archive: http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/

DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP:

Administration of Domain Name Service (DNS) registration increasingly
distinguishes between the operation of a "back-end" registry data base
service for registrations, versus "front-end" support services by
registrars who interact with registrants and with the registry.  Especially
for various Top-Level Domains, the desire is to permit multiple registrars
to share access to the database.  Conversely, there is a desire to allow a
registrar to access multiple registries via the same protocol, even if the
registries differ in operational models.

This working group will develop a specification of the requirements and
limitations for a protocol that enables a registrar to access multiple
registries and will develop a protocol that satisfies those requirements.
The protocol will permit interaction between a registrar's own application
and registry applications.

The initial specification will allow multiple registrars to register and
maintain domain names within multiple Top Level Domains (TLDs).  Subsequent
versions of the specification will extend the protocol to exchange other
information needed to organize the Internet, such as IP address allocations.
The specification should be flexible enough to support the different
operational models of registries.  The specification should allow extension
to support other registration data, such as address allocation and contact
information.

The group will consider support for multiple operational choices, such as
for transport and security; it will create no new transport or security
protocols.  The group may consider use of the new protocol for diverse
registration and update scenarios, in order to understand limitations and
possible extensions that are appropriate.  Specification for user interface
access, such as by a web front end, is beyond the scope of this working group.

Documentation from the working group will:

*       Specify the objects exchanged between the registry repository and
registrars, the relationships among the objects, and the protocol for
exchanging objects between a registrar and the registry; at a minimum the
objects will include: domain name, IP address, and contact details for
registrants

*       Describe appropriate mechanisms for security during registrar access,
including authentication and authoriztion of the participants, confidentiality
of data where needed and allowed

*       List useful examples of registrar access transactions

GOALS AND MILESTONES:
Jan, 2001       WG charter

Feb, 2001       Working group agreement on functional requirements for protocol

Apr, 2001       Initial specification of provreg protocol

Jun, 2001       Second draft specification

Sep, 2001       Submit draft for standards track

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Dilbert is an optimist.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list