To: "James Seng/Personal" <James@Seng.cc>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, "Patrik Faltstrom" <paf@cisco.com>
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:50:58 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Fw: WG Review: Provisioning Registry Protocol (provreg)

At 7:41 AM -0500 2/2/01, James Seng/Personal wrote:
>I would like to object this proposed charter for provreg. Its scope has
>been so specific defined for DNS only and has no mention of anything
>beyond DNS.

The most recent charter I sent upwards is slightly different than that
distributed.  In particular, the newer charter has this text:

>The initial specification will allow multiple registrars to register and
>maintain domain names within multiple Top Level Domains (TLDs).  Subsequent
>versions of the specification will extend the protocol to exchange other
>information needed to organize the Internet, such as IP address allocations.

The first sentence is old, I left it in for context.  The second sentence
should already address your concerns.

I think that there are a few goals of the proposed WG:
   1) Make a mechanism for registrar-registry exchange of domain name info
      in the short term.
   2) Make the mechanism extensible for other regsitration information.

I think the agenda before the IESG already addresses these issues.

A note on charters.  The purpose of the charter is to set the scope of the
effort, not to judge the quality of the effort.  It is possible that this
WG only arrives at the initial specification, that is a mechanism that is
DNS specific (but extensible).  A follow-on working group might be formed
to handle the next set of specifications.  It is also possible this
proto-WG's charter is amended as we approach the initial goal to include
the extensions.  IETF WG's are not intended to be long term.

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Dilbert is an optimist.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list